My life as a student at Texas Tech University

Srinivasa R. shares his experience at Texas Tech University.

Q :- You have been one of those highly respected lot of students who have been doing higher studies at Texas Tech University how does it feel to be at Texas Tech University USA?
A :- It is very nice as here we gain more practical exposure.

Q :- Please tell us about which course you are studying and why did you choose that course?
A :- Master of Science in Civil Engineering, I chose this course as I did my bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and I am interested in this field and also to know more about the buildings, the earthquakes and the winds etc.

Q :- Why did you choose the USA for higher education?
A :- I chose USA first of all because I got a scholarship here and I got an assistance ship where I became a part of the staff of Texas Tech University and I got the chance of doing research with the professors. The tuition fee was nominal. I was mainly interested in practical and research. I have got a very good scope here to work with the professors. Here we have lot of choice to select the course that fits into our interest.

Q :- How is Texas Tech University different than any other USA University based on whatever you have heard from your friends about
A :- It is different because in other university, they mainly have civil engineering and suction engineering however here in Texas Tech University they also have Wind Engineering field.

Q :- Are you happy with your decision?
A :- Yes I am very much happy with my decision.

Q :- Where do you live? On-campus or off-campus and why?
A :- I live off-campus because the food that we have on-campus is totally American and I don’t like it so I stay off-campus.

Q :- How should students select the US Universities? What are the important things to look at and compare among various Universities?
A :- It varies from the interest of the student for the course that he needs to do, the resources and the funding part. Try to get the scholarship if possible, more than ranking of the University give preference to your field of interest. The location also matters because the Universities which are located in the North of USA, it is really cold over there and the students may have health problems.

Q :- What’s your advice to students who aspire to go to the USA for higher studies?
A :- It is really good to study here in USA as we can gain lot of knowledge than any other country. The scope is good however the fees are high so it is good if the student gets a scholarship for his education or an assistance ship.

Q :- Other than academics, what else did you learn from the country USA?
A :- Other than academics the USA culture is different, the professors are friendly in nature, the people out here are approachable and every one respects each other. Here we have more freedom like we can join any community, any clubs, it is not necessary that if you are from India then you can only join the Indian community rather you can join any other community also.

Q :- How are the studies in the USA different than the studies in India?
A :- Here we have more research and practical stuff than the theory part, in India it is more into theoretical aspect. Indian professors teach a problem or a lesson and goes away as he is not concerned if everyone has understood the problem or the lesson taught, however here the professors are more friendly they help us a lot and they know each and every students level of understanding and thinking on the assignments provided they also help a lot to choose the projects to guide us well. The understanding level is too high.

Q :- Is it worth spending so much money to get a degree from the USA as compared to similar degree in India with lower costs?
A :- Getting a degree from USA is worth however spending a huge amount is not that worth so try to get a good opportunity here and then plan for higher education in USA, also try to get scholarship.

Q :- What’s your advice to parents of aspiring students?
A :- Parents should try and send their child for higher studies abroad, they should not differentiate between a boy and a girl student. They should encourage the student if they are interested in doing their higher education abroad.

Q :- Key things to remember for parents and students while planning for the studies in the USA
A :- Money factor is important. Plan well because if after coming here if you did not get any scholarship, assistance ship or part time job and also after completing the course if you don’t get a job then you should be prepared to go back to India. They should think all the positive and negative terms and then plan for studies in the USA Universities.

Q :- What are the 3 important things you learnt after you entered the USA?
A :- 1) The level and the power of my thinking increased and improved a lot, 2) Dealing with different people from different cultures and countries. 3) Time management and 4) Working with lot of pressure.

Q :- What difficulties you faced to get I-20? What precautions you have taken while applying for an I-20?
A :- Financial part was the major difficulty, I had to arrange for liquid cash. Also Credila’s loan sanction letter helped me a lot.

Q :- How did you fund your higher education? Was it required for you to show sources of funds before you got your I-20? How did you deal with that challenge?
A :- I took loan from Credila and some part I managed by my own source. Yes it was required to show the sources of funds before getting the I-20, for this Credila’s loan sanction letter helped a lot to show the source of funds and even I had some own funds.

Q :- How Credila's education loans Sanction letter help you to get your I-20?
A :- It helped me to show the source of funds available through Credila for my education. It was like a financial document.

Q :- How did Credila sanction letter help you to get your visa?
A :- Credila’s sanction letter was a financial document to show the funds available and it helped to get the visa and it helped to complete the required funds.

Q :- What are your suggestions for students who don't have funds for higher education and hence can't get I-20?
A :- Credila is the best Institute which helps a lot, I got the reference of Credila through Visa consultancy and I approached Credila for educational loan and they helped a lot. Credila is the best institute which can help you for the funding required and the sanction letter before I20 as it is also useful.

Q :- What are you future plans?
A :- To complete the course and to get a job here in USA. After working for 2-3 years I will be back to India.

Q :- What are your views about the current economic environment in the USA? Has it changed anything for the students like you?
A :- The current economy is not difficult to fund for the education however yes it has affected the jobs as the companies here have restrictions and they cannot sponsor the H1B visa. It is improving slowly.

0 Responses to “My life as a student at Texas Tech University”:

Leave a comment